Author Posts

August 18, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Due to the genuine interest in the examples of design education at Kelvin Grove State College that I shared on the final day of SDI NOLA, I am hoping to host a forum to share ideas and discuss projects I have had the pleasure of working on back in Queensland.  I will be online to answer any questions at 4-5:30 next Wednesday afternoon.  I am keen to learn more about your thoughts, projects and design perspectives.

August 20, 2014 at 4:12 pm

The wildcards are wonderful, I did not remember them from your presentation.

These wildcard prompts remind me of the Oblique Strategies of  Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt,

(http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html) I have been eager to use these but they are often very esoteric.

I could rewrite a set taking more contemporary cues from teen culture.

August 20, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Is the 2Day Design Workshop an annual event?  If so what is the project this year?

August 20, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for sending through the Oblique Strategies link.  Eno has had a hand in recent cultural events in Australia http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-03-19/brian-eno-to-lead-new-sydney-festival/1623812.

I mentioned the wildcards briefly in my presentation, but the key word here is briefly.  The design thinking framework underpinning the introduction of the wildcards is perhaps the richest element of the 2day city experience.

The reason why the wildcards are vital goes beyond the humorous element of imagining mutant koalas, but in the metadesign philosophy.  Drawing a wildcard that requires urgent attention from all group members (whether the group is in a smaller form or involving larger clustering of groups) places students in a position conducive to stepping back and design from a new perspective.

August 20, 2014 at 4:59 pm

2 Day City started up at the end of the school year in 2013, which in Australia means late December).

Due to the success of the 2 days, the team has run the program again in April and has recently accepted the request to run the event for the Asia Pacific Design Library‘s DesignMinds.

The project will continue to evolve.

As part of the work I will do when I return to Australia, the model will be applied to regional centers that have limited access to design thinking.  It will be great to see the project grow through site-specific iterations.

May 21, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Terry we’ve had several individuals interested in learning more about this project. I saw in another thread you received funding for the 2 day city project to be completed again.

Is there any possibility of creating a 2day city international contest for students in different countries? What would you think about that?