By Jeffrey Brown, February 27, 2017
- Middle School
- City of Neighborhoods
300 minutes for classroom activities.
The students will be tasked with designing a youth-oriented park that incorporates geometric concepts. Their design must focus on at least 4 components for the park using geometric concepts such as: types of lines and polygons, symmetry, and transformation in the design.
Common Core State Standards 8.G.1 Verify experimentally the properties of rotations, reflections, and translations:
- Lines are taken to lines, and line segments to line segments of the same length.
- Angles are taken to angles of the same measure.
- Parallel lines are taken to parallel lines.
Students will be able to:
- Know and understand the different steps of the design process.
- Identify lines, angles, polygons, and triangles as they occur in the real world.
- Measure interior angles of a polygon.
- Use the formula to find the sum of the interior angles of a polygon.
- Identify parallel, perpendicular, intersecting, and skew lines.
- Complete designs using line and rotational symmetry.
- Identify and perform transformations using geometric figures.
- Predict the results of transformations.
- Work in small groups to complete a park design.
Isometric Drawing Tool – https://illuminations.nctm.org/ActivityDetail.aspx?ID=125 Sums of Interior Angles – https://illuminations.nctm.org/ActivityDetail.aspx?ID=9 Line Symmetry – https://www.linkslearning.org/Kids/1_Math/2_Illustrated_Lessons/4_Line_Symmetry/index.html Symmetry–https://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngfl/maths/greg_morgan_symmetry/index.htm Investigating Patterns: Symmetry and Tessellations – https://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/jbsymteslk.htm Transformations https://18.104.22.168/DEMO/tutorials/files/ss01transformations.swf https://school.eb.com/lm/manipulatives/enu/workspaces/transformations_isometry/product.html https://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/category_g_3_t_3.html Drawing Tool https://illuminations.nctm.org/ActivityDetail.aspx?ID=35
- Poster Paper
- Measuring tools (protractors, rulers, etc.)
- Drawing tools (colored pencils, crayons, markers, etc.)
- Chart Paper and Drawing paper
- Construction paper
- Computer Lab
- Symmetry- the quality of something that has two sides or halves that are the same or very close in size, shape, and position.
- Transformations- a complete or major change in someone's or something's appearance, form, etc.
- Parallel- extending in the same direction, everywhere equidistant, and not meeting.
- Perpendicular- going straight up or to the side at a 90 degree angle from another line or surface.
- Intersecting- to meet and cross at one or more points.
- The characteristics of lines, angles, polygons, and triangles.
See Attached Rubric.
Enrichment Extension Activities
The activity could focus on National Parks and how they would improve upon them.